8.03.2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Coffee With A Friend


When I was young, I daydreamed of living in a small boxy house with a wonderful husband and 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat, and a station wagon. I was, of course, head of the Parent Teacher’s Association, a Girl Scout leader, and I looked just like Doris Day. Each morning, after preparing perfect lunches for my children with heart shaped sandwiches and homemade cookies, I would make coffee. By the time the coffee was brewed there would be quiet tapping at the kitchen door – a neighborhood friend dropping by, as usual, for coffee and friendship.

I do live in a small boxy house – a cottage if you will. I have eight children with our uniquely combined modern day Brady Bunch, and I drive a minivan. We have a bunny named Ringo as in Ringo Starr, I was once kicked out of the Parent Teacher’s Association, and I am a cheer mom. My hair is curlier than last year and the year before that and mousy brown with wisps of, well, grey. My children pack their own lunches, but I do enjoy making them cookies – especially Snickerdoodles. My coffee is made far earlier than desired and a friend does not tap at my kitchen door each morning.

But, there is tapping. This is the tapping of my fingernails on the small, flat keys of my laptop. And within mere seconds, you, my friends visit with me through e-mail, comments, and your own posts. Thank you for being there, every day, in the most extraordinary ways. Thank you for having coffee with me.

Today, for Blue Plate Mondays, I am sharing a favorite friendship recipe. I like this because it is simply given and simply enjoyed. There is no dough to feed everyday and no heavy mixing involved. I package my Friendship coffee in a vintage jar, with a chocolate dipped spoon and a copy of the recipe. When I pulled my Friendship Coffee jar out of the cupboard this morning, I realized it was time to make more. I use decaffeinated coffee, but this is the giver's choice.

Friendship Coffee

1 C instant coffee
2 C Nestle's Quick
2 C creamer
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 and 1/2 C sugar

Directions: Add 3-4 t of mix to a cup of hot water and stir.

Here are some fun tags you can use with your Friendship Coffee gifts. Don't forget to save some for yourself!


Here at (un)Deniably Domestic, we will be expanding our menus and filling up our recipe boxes with new recipes every Monday. Showcase your best recipes, share a food story, and make new friends. Gourmet is not required, just good food that tastes great.

I hope you will join us and share your favorite recipes. It is easy.

1. Create a post on your blog that includes a favorite recipe. Don’t forget the stories and any attribution necessary. If you don’t have a blog, e-mail your recipe to me and I will post it here for you.
2. Link in with the McLinky at the end of this post. Please be sure to do this after you have created your recipe post.
3. Check back often to see who is sharing recipes and visit the participants and leave comments.
4. Challenge yourself to try a new recipe each week and cram your recipes boxes full!

Don’t forget to check out our Blue Plate Monday’s cookbook. There are some delicious eats waiting for you to try.

P. S. I always thought I sounded like Doris Day while singing "I’m A Little Teapot."



10 comments:

  1. Your Friendship Coffee Recepi sounds just delightful!

    ~Silver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Kelly! Both your honest writing and the coffee recipe (which I will definitely be making!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the little chat this morning, the coffee was delish as usual and I'm off to tackle that 'To Do List'.....until tomorrow!!
    I will give that recipe a try!
    Hugs xOxO, Nerina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! It sounds just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since returning home on Sunday I have not had any caffeine. My headache started this afternoon and as I am brewing a large pot of coffee, I sat down to read your delightful post. I will definitely be trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe, Kelly. It will be a perfect addition to my girlfriends' Christmas package. I am making them cafe aprons with a sloshing coffee cup on the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe. Great idea from Bea, too, for Christmas gifts: an apron, a mug, and your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I thank you for the recipe and for the chat. I'm a little late (which is my modus operandi.)

    Sounds yummy so I'm gonna try it and try to remember to join the Blue Plate Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just made this and it is so yummmy thank you fir sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessi - I am so glad you used the recipe. Just two days ago I noticed I was running low and need to make a new batch. Maybe I will treat the women at work for Valentine's day! Thank you for stopping by. ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by. I do appreciate your thoughts and comments and hope you will visit again very soon!